A couple of months ago all my stored potatoes that I’d grown last year ran out or rotted. So what’s a thrifty potato lover to do when it’s late winter and potatoes are selling for $1 a pound? Buy them in bulk! I ran across a fifty pound bag for $8.00 and decided I’d try to get as much mileage as I could out of it before they rotted too. I used the last of them today and only had two in the whole bag go bad. Compost.
I’m always thinking of things I might write about on this blog, so once I brought the bag home I decided to keep track of the different ways I used the bounty, so that I could share with you, you lucky devil, the incredibly diverse ways one can serve a potato. Several of these meals were shared with company, and several were repeated too, not so much because I felt the need to use the potatoes up quickly, but because the dishes were good, and (mostly) healthy. And frugal. Did I mention forty cents a pound?
Eat your ❤ out:
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Potato, Carrot and Cabbage Stew
- Garden Potato Medley (it’s a warm potato salad that includes beans and veggies)
- Veggie Stock (used potatoes in place of turnips)
- Tex-Mex Potatoes
- Pan-Fried Potatoes
- Baked Potatoes
- Twice-Baked Potatoes (OMG!)
- Eggs and Hash Browns
- Burritos with Beans, Diced Potatoes, Salsa and Guacamole
- Herb-Roasted potatoes
- Potato and Pinto Bean Soup
- Buttered potatoes simmered with fresh green beans
- Potato Salad
- Potatoes and Spinach in Garlic-Red Chili Sauce
- Aloo Gobi (an Indian dish that has cauliflower and tomatoes)
- Mashed Potatoes with Milk-gravy
- Potato Cakes (made from the leftover mashed)
- Potato Latkes (at Passover)
- Potato/Leek Soup
- Oven ‘Steak’ Fries
- Curried Potatoes
- Gave my daughter 5 lbs
- Donated a bag to the local food pantry
I’m kind of glad they’re gone now. I’ve got potatoes planted in my garden and I should be digging around for those first tender, papery-skinned red ones real soon. It was a fun ‘challenge’ for me to use the bag up without resorting to potato juice or potato eye soup or something equally disgusting.
And now, a poem:
One potato, two potato, three potato, four
Using 50 pounds, you’ll want no more!
Cook ’em in the oven
Or cook ’em in the crock
At forty cents a pound
They’ll keep you out of hock!
5 Comments so far
Leave a comment